Breast augmentation, also referred to as breast enlargement, is a cosmetic procedure used to increase the size of the breasts. Breast enlargement is one of the most commonly performed cosmetic surgical procedures in the US. Breast enlargement may be desired for any number of reasons from a simple desire to increase breast size, to restore breast shape which has diminished following pregnancy, or to create an even appearance between disproportionate breasts or to replace lost breast volume through breastfeeding, aging, or significant weight loss. No matter what the reason, we have found that breast augmentation can dramatically improve a woman's quality of life.
During your consultation, you will make decisions together about the type, size, incision and placement of your implants. Your anatomy plays a major role in these decisions. Your doctor will talk with you about the options for breast augmentation surgery - depending on your current measurements, your body frame, and your expectations.
There are several aspects of the augmentation procedure that you'll need to consider.
Placement of the implant
- Sub-glandular Breast Implant Placement: The breast implants are placed below the breast gland but above the muscle. The term 'over' derives from the placement of the breast implant over the muscle.
- Partial Sub-muscular Placement ( Dual Plane): This placement has many names, but essentially the implant is placed partially below the muscle. This can also be referred to as partial submuscular, partial subpectoral.
- Complete Sub-muscular Breast Implant Placement: Here the breast implant is placed completely below the muscle.
- In the crease on the underside of the breast (inframammary). Breast augmentation with an inframammary incision is performed with an incision made under the breast and close to the inframammary fold. The incision is made here to secure proper placement of the implant, but also to reduce scar visibility.
- Around the areola, the dark skin around the nipple (periareolar)
- In the armpit (transaxillary).
Saline vs Silicone implant
Breast implants are silicone shells filled with either saline (salt water) or silicone gel. Both implant types are very safe, and each offers its own advantages. Dr Lalla will help you decide which kind is right for you.
- An advantage of saline breast implants is that, if ruptured, the saline (salt solution) is dissolved by the body. A disadvantage is that saline breast implants may appear less natural in small-breasted or reconstructive patients. This is especially important for very thin women who have little breast tissue to cover the implant, or for women.
- Silicone gel-filled breast implants may provide a more natural feel. After many years, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved silicone breast implants for breast augmentation surgery.
Shape of the implant
When choosing breast implants, shape is an important consideration. The two basic breast implant shapes are round and teardrop
- Round Breast Implants. Of the two breast implant shapes, the round breast implant is the most common type used for breast augmentation. Due to a round implant's symmetrical shape, it does not pose the risk of implant rotation. Round implants come in three different variations of shape: low, medium, and high profile.
- Teardrop Breast Implants. As the name indicates, a teardrop breast implant, also known as a contoured breast implant, is shaped like a teardrop.
Dr. Lalla performs all of their operations with great care and precision, ensuring that patients can enjoy a quick and healthy recovery. After the surgery Your breast are wrapped with a ace bandage for about 2 to 3 days. At your first office appointment after surgery Dr. Lalla will remove the bandage and fit you in a bra. Stitches are usually dissolvable. Any post-operative pain and swelling will diminish in the first few weeks. You can return to work within a week.
Breast Augmentation FAQs
Am I eligible for implants?
Most people are eligible for implants to help enhance the appearance of their breasts for medical or aesthetic purposes. You are not eligible if you have untreated breast cancer or infection, or are pregnant or nursing.
Will insurance cover the implant procedure?
Insurance companies do not usually cover implant surgery performed for cosmetic reasons. Most providers cover the first breast reconstruction operation.
How will my breasts look and feel after the breast augmentation operation?
Some swelling will occur initially after the procedure, but this will disappear quickly. Most residual swelling will resolve within a month. After recovery, many women equate the feel of their breast implants to that of a teenage girl with young, healthy, firm breasts.
Can I breastfeed after receiving an implant?
Breast implants do not tend to affect your ability to breastfeed. None of Dr. Lalla's patients have ever had trouble breastfeeding after surgery.
Can I choose to have the implant removed?
Implants are removable, but keep in mind that you may experience dimpling, puckering, wrinkling or other cosmetic changes after the implant is taken out.
What happens if the implant ruptures?
Many potential patients worry about implant rupture as a major source of hesitation when considering implants. A ruptured implant is not very common. However, if a saline implant ruptures, the implant will simply deflate in a few hours and your body will absorb the salt water. If a silicone implant leaks, you should see your doctor immediately.
Will there be scarring?
Scars are a part of the breast augmentation process. You will have one, whether it is around the areola, under the arm, or under the breast. Fortunately, breast augmentation scars, regardless of where they are located, tend to heal extremely well. Over time, the scars will fade as well.
How long will the results last after a breast augmentation?
The results of your breast augmentation surgery will be long-lasting. Dr. Lalla's expert knowledge and vast experience contribute to helping patients enjoy young, supple breasts for many years to come.
Those interested in Breast Augmentation should find a plastic surgeon they can trust. From the initial consultation through post-surgical recovery, Dr. Lalla emphasizes an honest doctor-patient relationship that allows his patients to remain well informed of their surgical options.
|Click here for before and after pictures for Breast Augmentation||Click here for procedure animations|
To learn more about the benefits of a Breast Augmentation and schedule a consultation please contact us today : (609) 584-8898